7 February 2011
The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) has today declared an insurance catastrophe for the bushfires currently burning around Perth.
“An Insurance Taskforce has been established for this event and the general insurance industry will work closely with the WA authorities,” Insurance Council CEO Rob Whelan said.
The Insurance Council encourages policyholders to:
• Make contact with your insurance company as soon as possible and seek advice about the claim process under your policy.
• Do not be concerned if insurance documents are not readily at hand. Insurance companies keep records electronically and only require the policyholders’ name and address in order to locate a policy.
• Contact your insurer before authorising repairs.
• It will assist the claim process if you make an inventory of the possessions that have been damaged as a result of the bushfires.
• Your insurer is there to help, seek clarification from them in the first instance.
A telephone hotline has been established for this event. Any policyholders who may be having difficulty finding their insurance documents, or who have queries about who their insurer may be, can contact the Insurance Council hotline on 1300 728 228 for assistance.